top of page
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • What is a CLBA?
    A CLBA is the Canadian Literacy Benchmark Assessment that determines where a person's English skills fall on an ESL scale from 1-5. It determines a learner's English proficiency in reading, writing, listening, and speaking. A newcomer must complete a CLBA before a CARE Language Coordinator can begin organizing English lessons in the proper class. The CLBA is free for newcomers or a fee-for-service for others.
  • Are there night classes available?
    Yes, night classes are available for anyone wishing to improve their English. While there is a fee, there are supports available to qualifying applicants. Please speak to a Language Coordinator about Care for Newcomers' ESL evening class funding options. Get started with a Language Assesment
  • How do I manage childcare while I am in class?
    Students with pre-school children who wish to take Care for Newcomers' adult daytime ESL classes can register for the Community-Based Childcare for Newcomers (CB-CNC) program. Childcare is available both on and offsite with government-approved childcare providers who offer a fun and safe environment for students' little ones. The Foundations for Women class also provides on-site childcare. However, there is a waiting list, and it is wise to register for childcare as soon as possible. Speak to your Language Coordinator for more information.
  • How often are Care for Newcomers' English classes?
    Daytime adult LINC ESL classes are part-time in morning and evening classes. In addition, our Care for Newcomers LINK classes are open for registration year-round for permanent Canadian residents and broken up into two semesters. Evening ESL classes are two times a week in fall, spring, and summer sessions between 6 and 12 weeks. Classes run between 6 PM to 8:30 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Students can then supplement their skills with a Conversation Circle, women's and men's groups, or evening ESL classes.
  • How do I connect an immigrant to ESL classes?
    If you, or someone you know, needs help learning English in Central Alberta, please get in touch with the Care for Newcomers main office at 403-346-8818 or by email Our Care for Newcomers team can help you coordinate registration and a CLBA for our English as a Second Language class.
  • Where do children and youth take ESL classes?
    ESL for children and youth is taught within our school system. Once newcomers register their kids in school, SWIS and ESWIS workers will coordinate resources through Care for Newcomers and other government agencies to provide newcomer youth and their families all the services they need, including learning English.
  • How much English do I need to know to take Care for Newcomers' ESL classes?
    Newcomers' English skills can range from being fluent to having no English, depending on their situation. For example, some immigrants began preparing for their move by taking English lessons, whereas refugees fled from their homes and could know little to no English. Regardless of how much English they know, our Care for Newcomers Language Coordinators assist newcomers by first using a CLBA to assess their skill level and then placing them in the correct ESL level class.
  • How long does it take to start taking Care for Newcomers' ESL classes?
    Care for Newcomers aims to get students into English classes as quickly as possible. The wait time depends on what class the student qualifies for and is interested in and where the start of the course falls in the calendar. It can take approximately two months from registration for students to begin taking ESL classes. However, enrollment is ongoing year-round, and our Language Coordinators are happy to help you plan your schedule. While you wait for your ESL class to begin, our Language Coordinator will connect you with any Care for Newcomers services and programs that you need to settle into our community.
  • Who teaches Care for Newcomers' ESL classes?
    Care for Newcomers' certified English as a Second Language (ESL) instructors teach newcomers English at every level. Students learn how to read, write, listen, and speak English with the help of teacher's aides and volunteers who help translate, answer questions, and improve pronunciation.

Settlement and Integration of Refugees

1 —

Actividades, eventos y programas sin cita previa

¡Juega, aprende deportes, crea increíbles manualidades y haz nuevos amigos en SNAP!

Nuestros programas y actividades son divertidos y emocionantes para que los jóvenes en edad de escuela intermedia y secundaria aprendan más sobre Canadá y el centro de Alberta mientras conocen a otros niños que entienden lo que es mudarse a un nuevo país. También es una oportunidad para compartir su propio patrimonio cultural.

2  —

Regístrese para SNAP

Si tiene un joven recién llegado que está interesado en unirse a SNAP, puede registrarse a través de su trabajador de SWIS en la escuela, comunicarse con nuestra oficina de CARE o consultar en Facebook o Instagram en @SNAP-IYP. [insertar identificadores/iconos de redes sociales]


3  —

Comparte tus historias

¡Hay muchas historias divertidas y aventureras de los eventos y actividades de SNAP! Nos encanta saber cómo disfruta ser miembro de SNAP y cómo ha sido mudarse a Central Alberta.



Programa de jóvenes inmigrantes en el centro de Alberta

After a newcomer family moves to Canada, an exciting journey awaits the school-aged children and youth! A new home, new school, new teachers, new friends, new curriculum, and much more. New things are exciting, but they can also be challenging or overwhelming. Many young newcomers are struggling and feeling lost in their new environment.

The Care for Newcomers Youth Settlement team is here to help you effectively integrate into the Alberta school system, learn to adapt to Canadian cultures, and cope with cultural, social, emotional, and other relationship-related challenges.

We provide settlement support services in schools, after-school, and during breaks throughout the year.

bottom of page